A colourful company history.
The roots of Ivers-Lee lie in the USA. Ivers-Lee was founded in Newark N.J. in 1919, and developed the SANITAPE packing product, a wrap made of wax-coated paper. Ivers-Lee USA soon recognised the significance of this technology, and the patented SEALTITE packing products (strip packaging for tablets and other solid products) were manufactured on its first production facilities, along with pouches for powders, granulates and (later) even liquids.
Peter Schüpbach founded Ivers-Lee AG Burgdorf in 1947, when it became clear that the potential for these packages existed in Europetoo. In the very difficult economic era following the 2nd World War, it took great courage and faith to start up a company in the packaging sector, offering American technologies that were still unknown inEurope. Peter Schüpbach had the determination and staying power, as well as the ability, the right staff and the partners to pull through.
After his death, the Schüpbach family took on the majority of the shares. Peter’s son, Michael Schüpbach still sits on the Administrative Board. In 1961, Ivers-Lee Italia SpA was established nearMilan; its production site lay within the EU, which made this an important, ground-breaking step in the company’s activities inItalyand the European market. At the beginning of the 1970s, Ivers-Lee increasingly concentrated upon its packaging service, and the aims of the business were oriented towards special services and quality work. The aim from the very beginning has been to rise significantly above the average in terms of quality – a strategy still maintained by Ivers-Lee. As a result of the successes achieved in this way, the business has grown to produce a company that now employs a workforce of about 200. The production locations in Burgdorf (Switzerland) and Caronno Pertusella (Italy) are regularly extended and adapted to meet the requirements of modern GMP production.
In the Caronno Pertusella works in northernItaly, the most recent stage of expansion (for the time being) took place in 2003/2004, while another investment step followed at the Burgdorf (Switzerland) works in 2005/2006. This stage of development involved the expansion of activities in the medical technology area and included the provision of a modern clean room to meet the requirements of ISO Class 6 and 7, along with the corresponding logistics concept. Ivers-Lee MedTec AG was specifically set up to provide packaging and services in the area of medical technology. A further extensive investment step followed at the Burgdorf (Switzerland) works in 2007, with the aim of improving the flow of goods, adapting the infrastructure to meet the requirements of modern GMP practices and the Clinical Supplies Management business area, and providing a larger production area for primary and secondary packaging activities. This stage of expansion further confirmed the strategic vision of the Ivers-Lee Group: to be the preferred and most innovative packaging partner in the qualitatively demanding field of high-value pharmaceutical products, clinical supplies and medical technology products.
On 1st July 2009, Dr. Peter Schüpbach became the 3rd generation of the family to join the company.